I have been missing in action for the past two weeks due to illness but by the Grace of God I am doing much better now… Hope you are all doing well
Let me start by saying I am so humbled by the amount of encouraging feed-back I have been receiving so far on my blog… Thank you, thank you so much !!!
My Hair story seemed to have made quite an impression because so many people met me and told me they enjoyed reading it. And from the over 900 views on that story all I can say is WOW thanks so much guys…
So from reading that story you would know that today marks my first year since my “big chop”. I must say this year did not come without its challenges but it has been a good year for my hair and I continue to love it more and more every day and have not regretted my decision to go natural.
Now, one of the questions I get asked all the time is “what do you use in your hair?”. While I do not believe that what works for me may work for you, I share with you my top ten tips which has greatly helped in my hair growth so far and what I will continue to do on my journey. Here goes…
- Love YOUR hair – Your hair is unlike anyone else’s and is your special mark. Just like fingerprints, everyone has a different hair type no matter how similar it may seem so love your hair with all its ups and downs and don’t compare it to someone else’s
- Don’t be a product junkie – I have found that finding the hair product that works and works well is best. Don’t just try every product that other naturals say works for them, find what works for you and stick to it. Because guess what… some of those bloggers are paid to advertise and those products are quite costly and that is what makes natural hair seem expensive. So if what you are using works for you then use that
- Care starts from the inside – Your hair is part of your body and like every other part, it needs the essential nutrients in order to grow and be healthy. Eating the right foods ensures that you nourish your hair from within which makes external care much easier
- WATER is your best friend – And not just for wetting the hair but drinking as well. There is no better moisturizer than water and drinking lots of water not only helps with retaining moisture for your hair but also helps with that beautiful glow to your skin
- Oils are your friends – Oils like castor, coconut and olive have great qualities which aid in hair growth so using these oils are great for the hair but remember too much of a good thing is not good so use in moderation, a little goes a long way
- Adopt a nightly routine – Using a sleep time method that works for you ensures that your hair is soft and manageable in the morning. I have had days I just went to bed without following my routine only to find dry, hard hair in the morning. Methods such as the LOC help very well. A good old fashion hair pin twist or chunk plaits make for great manageability in the morning
- Be Gentle – When detangling, always ensure that you are gentle with your hair. Knots are more easily formed on natural hair and being rough on those knots will cause hair loss and we don’t want that and your scalp will thank you too
- Have Fun with It – You can have much more fun with your hair than you think. It does not have to be perfect and the more you experiment with putting those crazy, risky styles the more fun you will find you have and the better you will come to know your hair and its needs
- Scalp Care – Your scalp is very important to your hair growth. When washing be gentle and rub with finger tips and not nails. There may be urges to dig those nails and scratch that “nice itch” but trust me it does more harm than good. Massages are a great way to relax your scalp and also to aid in the blood flow and circulation which in turn helps with growth. The massages are also a good way to get your spouse or kids involved in your hair journey – have them do the massages for you
- Wash when needed – Don’t wait a month to wash your hair because someone says that’s best. You know your hair and if you think it is in need of a wash it most likely is. So if your hair wants to be washed every week then do that. Be sure to incorporate hair treatments such as deep conditioning and hot oils in between washes to keep hair strong
So that’s it guys.. Hope this is of some help to you as you take on your natural hair journey.